There really is nothing to talk about, frankly. And writing this won't be cathartic, but I wanted to contribute to the national/international "dialog".
Ever since the terrible news about the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico broke, you know, the one that is the fault of those of us who wish to protect the environment, I've kept my head buried deep in the tar-flecked sand. To describe how much my heart aches over this would be an "exercise in futility", if I may borrow some words from President Lincoln, vampire hunter.
The hurt and the rage is real. It's difficult for me to even address this matter because before all of this happened, I didn't think our home planet was in a good way to begin with. This just drives some of us who wish to enjoy, conserve, protect, reduce, recycle & reuse over the edge. I feel depressed and broken. Who wins?
To whom do I direct my anger? BP? Businessmen, leaders & citizens who champion deregulation? My fellow Americans for not even attempting to drive less or work towards fuel-efficiency? Are we so desensitized that we can't even rustle up a care? How can we help? And not just the environment, but an American way of life -- will there be any true relief? Who am I kidding? Asking anyone to sacrifice anything is, well, good luck with that.
I am trying not to be cynical, but I'm not given any good material to work with here. I can have an opinion on an assortment of issues, but environmentalism is not negotiable. Why can't we have nice things?

No comments:
Post a Comment